Monday, October 25, 2010

Abducted by the Countdown Meme

Well it has almost been a full week since my last blog post. Originally I was planning on including a post for the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, which was our selection for October book club. However, after book club on Saturday I just feel pretty talked out about it.
I usually try to not post about book club books because, well at least for now, the majority of my readers are my fellow book-clubers.

Unfortunately, since I’m not posting on Lost Symbol I don’t have another book to write about right now. I have three books I am in the middle of and I am going to push really hard to finish them before Monday.

NaNoWriMo is starting up on November 1st so I just know I am not going to have a lot of time to read next month.

But, for now, I still wanted to do a post for the week.

So I looked around at some different meme’s and found a really quick one I thought might be interesting.

THE COUNTDOWN MEME

FIVE: Give the five books you’d recommend to anyone

For a love story I’d go with Pride and Prejudice. It is a classic for a reason.

For a graphic novel I’d go with Scott Pilgrim. I’m not really into graphic novels, as much as I’d like to be. But Scott Pilgrim is just layered with sarcasm so it really is a fun read.

For a thriller I’d go with Relentless by Dean Koontz
. It was the first book I ever read that gave me nightmares. Some people like the ending and some people don’t, but the journey to get there is so exciting that it is definitely worth reading.

For a super natural I’d go with Odd Thomas also by Dean Koontz
. There are definitely elements of the super natural but even if you remove all of them you’d still have a really good story with an amazing protagonist.


For a classic I’d go with To Kill A Mockingbird. No explanation needed I hope.

FOUR: List your four all time favorites

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair by C S Lewis. Puddleglum was always one of my favorite characters in all of Narnia and I loved the scene when he stood up to the Green Witch. I’ve read this book like six times I think.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo. I remember when I first read this with my online book club and I was shocked by how thoroughly entertaining it was. Loved it.

Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy. Awe, my first Binchy. I was crying by the third chapter and that book has really stayed with me. I can’t wait to check in on Declan in Binchy’s new novel coming out next year.

Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella. It is an entire book that is an ode to baseball fanatics. How could I not love it?

THREE: Identify three places you’d love to live from a book. (given that the characters from the original novels are not going to be there, just the place)

Whitethorn Woods from the Maeve Binchy’s novel of the same name. It is just this really small woods in the middle of this really small Irish town.

The Shire from Lord of the Rings, as long as I could guarantee that it was long before any of that stuff goes down with Frodo and the ring. I don’t want to be there when the shire all get’s destroyed.

Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. I’d just build me a little house in that one room just like at the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I’d get to leave during the day if I wanted to, to visit the streets of…where is it?…London? But I’d still get to swim in rivers of chocolate and have fields of flowers that look like tea cups you can bite into.

TWO: List two characters you’d want to trade places with.

First and foremost Clare from Outlander. What I wouldn’t do to have Jaime Fraser all to myself! Now, the picture I've included is the cover for the book The Exile, which is the graphic novel based off of Outlander. But I chose that picture because the actual Outlander cover is simply...

Any girl from the Hufflepuff house. I’d join the DA and make a move on Neville Longbottom. Then later when he becomes a professor of herbology, I can join the staff too as the professor of muggle studies.

ONE: A book that has made a difference in your life.

Don’t Die My Love by Lurlene McDaniel.


At book club on Saturday some of the girls were talking about the books they read when they were kids. I’ll be honest some of the ones they mentioned I’d never even heard of. And I was embarrassed to say that when I was a kid I was reading R L Stine or Lurlene McDaniel. Especially Lurlene McDaniel.

All of her books involved kids that were sick or dying and every one of them made me cry. They were the first books I read that ever really brought out those strong emotions from me and it made me love reading.

Sure, I’d like to think now that my taste has improved, (no offense) but still, I have to give credit where credit is do. And if I hadn’t gotten so deep into Lurlene McDaniel books as a kid, who knows if I would still end up loving to read as much as I do today.

Any way, if you agreed with any of my answers or if you want to challenge any of them, please leave comments.

And I’ll be back later in the week to write about all the books I finish before the kick off for NaNoWriMo.

2 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Ahh, Lurlene McDaniel, I read quite a bit of her books as well- but then again I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on as a kid. I probably wouldn't enjoy her books now, but I liked them when I was younger, and it's nothing to be ashamed of!

Um, my only question is, why Hufflepuff? Neville was a Gryffindor and other than a few exceptions in the book, most people tended to date within their houses.

Love your locations you'd live in. Maeve Binchy has made my list too (only it was the little Greek Island featured in Nights of Rain and Stars). The chocolate factory would have made my list had I thought about it. Brilliant!

Bittner said...

Kate- Hello have you met me!?!

I'm a total Hufflepuff! And I don't see there being any bias based on houses. I mean sure it is harder to bridge that gap because the people in your house are the ones you spend the most time with. But trust me, I don't see it being a problem with me and Longbottom:)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs