Friday, January 7, 2011

Abducted by my first Blog Hop - Jan. 7th

BLOG HOP HOSTED BY : CRAZY FOR BOOKS



"WHAT BOOK INFLUENCED AND CHANGED YOUR LIFE?"

My answer would be Letter's From Rifka by Karen Hesse which I read back in middle school. My friend recommended it to me and then I begged my Grandmother to get it for me and she did and I read it in like a day, which for twelve year old me was really fast!



Now, it has been about ten years (no exaggeration) since I read this book but from what I recall it was the story of a very young girl and her family as they are fleeing from Russia to come to America. They make their way to England (I think?) on a train. While traveling Rifka becomes very ill and when the family gets to England they are told that the best thing for them to do is leave Rifka behind while she is ill. Once she get's better, Rifka has to make the long journey to America on her own.

All these years later the main spirit of the book has stayed with me and now I'm thinking I really need to re-read it this year for the challenge that MIDNIGHT BOOK GIRL is hosting...

12 comments:

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

I'm bopping about on my first Book Blogger Hop, and commenting to say hi!

I'm always afraid of reading those books I remember so well from my teens, I'm afraid they won't hold up with time. Good luck with your rereading!

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I am so proud of you for finally hopping!

Howard Sherman said...

This will probably come of something as a surprise but the book that changed/influenced my life (more than any other) is a non-fiction book. I know we all focus on novels and the fanciful fiction we love to read but The Four Work Week is the book that gets all the credit. I know the title sounds fictional but it really isn’t. Hop over to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

Happy Book Blogger Hop Day!


Howard A. Sherman

Izzy G. said...

Hi, thanks for hopping by my blog! I'm here to return the favor :)

That sounds like a really interesting book! It's amazing how books can stick with us for so many years, and I hope you find this one just as enjoyable the second time around :)

Susan said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to check it out.

Glad to have found you via the Hop!

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. New follower!
I've heard of Letters from Rifka. I think I'd love it. I should really read it.
Happy weekend!
My Hop

Beverly said...

Just hopping by - have a great weekend! Stop by The Wormhole sometime! Happy reading!

Sugar and Snark said...

Hopping by to say have a great Sunday and a great week further!

New follower :)

Belinda said...

Happy HOP! The book I shared had a major impact on me last year and totally changed my life for the better. Come by and visit to see which one it was. I'm a new follower :)

The Bookish Snob

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Stopping by from the blog hop to say hello...a little late, but nonetheless.

I like your website...first-time visitor.

Elizabeth
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Billy Burgess said...

I am glad that I found another R.L. Stine fan.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs