Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Abducted by the Read-a-thon!

It is time for yet another Teaser Tuesday!



This time I thought I would do it a little differently.

This weekend will be my first attempt at the Dewey Read-a-thon! My friend Kate (aka MIDNIGHT BOOK GIRL) has been trying to get me to participate for years but I only just recently caved. Unfortunately for me, Kate knows the proper ways of getting under my skin and pushing me until I break.

The main reason I am breaking this year is because I set the goal for myself to read 111 books in 2011 and so far I am a little behind, not tragically behind, there is still hope seeing on how it is only April, but the read-a-thon will give me an opportunity to catch back up. So I guess I could say that I am somewhat looking forward to participating this year. (since I'm at work, my computer wont let me access the read-a-thon site at the moment, also my boss is in the back so I don't have enough time to snoop around and try to find a loop hole that will let me access it, but if you click on Midnight Books Girl's link above there should be a link on her page that will take you to the read-a-thon if you'd like to sign up)

So what I thought I would do today is share with you my TBR pile for that day and give you a very little teaser from each selection. Here is my pile:




I have to work on the day of the read-a-thon so I tried to pick things that I could pick up and put down with ease, so to start we have Poems by C. S. Lewis, this is from the poem Infatuation on page 73...

Body and soul most fit for love can best, Withstand it. I am ill, and cannot rest, Therefore I am caught...


I also have a children's novel written in letter format called Letter's From Rifka by Karen Hesse. These lines are on page 40...

Traveling forward-to America. When I think of myself that way, even though we are homeless and our lives are in danger even now, still I believe everything will turn out well.


Then I have the graphic novel Kick Ass that should make for a fun read, I've flipped through it and artwork is amazing! Obviously graphic novels seldom if ever have their pages numbered so I have no idea where these lines are from but here you go anyway...

"Oh God. Oh Jesus. So the only reason she's even talking to me is..."
"That's right, man. You're her gay best friend."
"Oh no."


And for an actual full novel I'll be reading Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, the following is from page 91...

I've created a monster. I only started the bingo nights at my building to fulfill my high school community service requirement. I figured we'd get ten residents max, all over the age of seventy, we'd meet for games like five times and then like forget about it, and I'd get my school credit and be done with it. But noooooo.


I will also be listening to the audio version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis in my car and during those moments at work when I actually do have to be working. Even though I will be listening to the audio version, I do have one of those giant books at home with all 7 of the Chronicles of Narnia in it, so the following is from page 491 of that book...

As no one had ever known Reepicheep to be afraid of anything, he could say this without feeling at all awkward. But the boys, who had all been afraid quite often, grew very red. None the less, it was such obvious sense that they had to give in.


And last but not least we have The Tales of Beedle the Bard! This book is a last minute addition because it was just given to me by my totally awesome friend Andrea. And I figured it would be a good one to break up my other reading with if I had time, but since I wasn't counting on having this book I'm only going to use it as an alternate if I have time or get frustrated with one of my other books (*cough*talking to you, cohn*cough*)

So, anyway, the following is from page 33...

As the sun fell below the horizon, Sir Luckless emerged from the waters with the glory his triumph upon him, and flung himself in his rusted armor at the feet of Amata, who was the kindest and most beautiful woman he had ever beheld.


And that is my TBR pile for the Dewey's Read-a-thon! I am really looking forward to getting to know some more bloggers and maybe making some friends on my twitter! So for all those other readers out there who are participating I will see you on Saturday!

PS! Don't forget to sign up for my 1 year giveaway of an Amazon gift card just click the abduction below!



Also, check out my post on REVIEWS IN 5 about guilty pleasure movies!

5 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I love your Readathon pile!!! I read Kick-Ass in the last one, and it made for a great read. I'm excited that you'll be doing a little tweeting- let me know if you want me to add a link to your twitter here on your blog.

Now, heading over to check out your other blog. :) Saturday can't get here soon enough!!!

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

I thought you were going to be reading Scarlet Feather during the read-a-thon. Are you hoping to be done with that before then, or are you going to put it on hold if you're not done?

Unknown said...

Excellent choices. I can't believe you're working that day AND doing Read-a-Thon. You are my hero. And here I was griping about oh-boo-hoo-I-can't-sleep-in.

The Reviews in 5 is great! I liked it on facebook and one of my movie buddies from Colorado thought your/youse guys' pick for the first review was spot on. The Professional is his favorite movie.

I tried to leave comments, but it kept erroring. I still haven't figured it out. Hopefully you haven't been bombarded with 147 comments from me all saying the same thing.

Bittner said...

Andrea- I'm taking a short break from Scarlet Feather until Sunday. I want to take my time with it and not have the pressure of a time limit hanging over my head. I'll have plenty of time to finish it before the bookclub!

Holly- yeah, it sucks that I have to work that day but the audio books will help A LOT! And just because I'll be at work doesn't mean I will actually have to be "working" :) And thanks for the reviewsin5 praise! It means so much you don't even know!!!

Hannah Marie said...

I LOVE your cheer. Totally made me smile. And I am majorly in love with Reid. He's the whole reason I started watching Criminal Minds (then I kept with it cuz I find it super interesting). :) Ah... bonding over books and Reid. :)

Happy reading!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs