Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Abducted by Will Grayson Will Grayson


I finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson on Saturday, and I know that I promised a raving review for you guys, but now that I am sitting here, fingers poised to type, I can't think of what to say...

(3 hours later)

The book was amazing! I really did love it!

First of all, I love John Green. I have read most of his books (I haven't read Let It Snow yet, and TFIOS is laying patiently beside me), but I am also a huge fan of his vlogbrother videos. David Levithan on the other hand, my love for him is bordering on obsession at this point!
As far as the rest of the book goes...
I truly loved all the characters! Each one of them was flawed in their own little perfect way. Each character also, had an arch and they all changed and grew by the end of the story. Except, of course, for Jane. Jane was awesome in the beginning, stayed awesome through the middle, and someday I will have an "I'm with Phil Wrayson" shirt just like the awesome one she wore at the end. 

I loved Will Grayson #1 (John Green's Will) because I really felt for the struggles he had to endure with his relationship with Tiny. It is hard to have friends that you have had since you were a child. As you get older and you both change, you can start to grow apart. But I felt that Green handle it in a very honest and genuine way, that I know I was able to relate to.


Will Grayson #2 (David Levithan's Will) I struggled with just a little bit more, but his story was also a tad bit darker then Will #1. His friendship with Mara was disturbing, and when she tricked him I was devastated! In the first chapter he was being a little cold towards his mother, and anyone who knows me knows that is something I can not stand! It is a huge turn off for me when I'm around someone who disrespects their parents. I know that not all parents are as amazing as mine are, but still...

Anyway, I tried to give Will #2 some slack, he was high school boy after all, and I am glad I did. By the end, his relationship with his mother had me in tears! 

I could not stop myself from underlining different passages in this book. I underlined so much, I even underlined one of the comments they authors added in their acknowledgments at the back of the book! So, I wanted to include one of my favorite passages that came from a Will #2 chapter: 

"i can't imagine us saying these things to each other out loud. but even if i can't imagine hearing these words, i can imagine living them. i don't even picture it, instead i'm in it. how i would feel with him here. that peace. it would be so happy, and it makes me sad because it only exists in words."

This book isn't perfect. It is close, but it does have a fault or two. However, I promise you that this book is pure dessert. 

I like to say that some books are "candy books". They may not have stellar writing or poetic metaphors to stand on, but they are light and fun.



This book is pure delight and fun, but it is not candy. This book has so much substance you could choke on it! This would be a creme brulee of dessert books.
That is, of course, if you like creme brulee, which I've never been a fan of. So I would have to compare this
book to the most sinfully decadent and lavish chocolate cake.

Wait - did I just compare WGWG to cake so I would have an excuse to stop by my absolute favorite french bakery, La Baguette, and pick up a slice of cake???


Hell yeah I did!!!

I will be giving Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan an abduction rating of...


2 comments:

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

Hahaha! That cake looks delicious! Now I'm craving chocolate! But that's not an uncommon thing for me. Great review. I felt the same way about Will #2 at first, but I also grew to like him.

I'm so jealous that you already have TFiOS! I want my copy NOW! That'll teach me to not pick standard shipping next time...

fakesteph said...

mmm... cake. And creme brulee. I may be tempted to go down to the tea shop tomorrow. I loved this book when I read it. John Green and David Levithan are both authors who write things that I just want to remember forever. Reading your review, I totally want to go back and reread it now (after TFIOS, obvs). They both spoke at LA Times Festival of Books about two years ago and it was awesome hearing them talk about writing with each other. But John Green kind of scared me, so I ran away without David Levithan signing my book. Haha. Have you read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List?

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs